Time to make some walnut butter with your NutraMilk and get ready for this delicious and finger-licking recipe!
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
- 210g walnuts
- 24 slices French or sourdough bread baguette
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 2 medium sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 package of goat cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or oregano leaves
- Let's make the walnut butter first.
- Add your walnuts into the NutraMilk container.
- Press on the Butter cycle and set it for about 5-6 minutes.
- Press on Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If you wish, set it for an additional 1-2 minutes to make a creamier butter.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Now it's time to stir in the onions.
- Cook uncovered for 10 minutes, but don't forget to stir every 3 to 4 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Stir in your salt, brown sugar as well as the vinegar.
- Cook 30 to 35 minutes longer, and stir every about 5 minutes up until the onions are deep golden brown.
- Let it then cool slightly.
- Heat oven to around 160°C and then place the bread slices on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray and bake for about 6 to 9 minutes (or until crispy). You can also toast bread.
- Assemble crostinis by placing a layer of walnut butter first, then 1 teaspoon caramelized onions and top with 1 rounded teaspoon of goat cheese.
- Finally, sprinkle with some herbs.
And here's how it's done! Bon Appétit!